PLACE DES MARTYRES
The series featuring over 170 watercolors and about 80 drawings was created between 1971 and 1973 and exhibited in New York during the same period. The title refers to Martyrs' Place located at the heart of Beirut's commercial center and named in memory of the nationalists who were hanged in 1915-16 during the Ottoman rule. The area adjoining Place des Martyrs was the site of Beirut's most famous red-light district. It was completely destroyed during the 1975-90 Lebanese Civil War, and removed by the city's reconstruction project following the end of the Civil war in 1992.